If you had the power to prevent some genetic issues, would you do it? If you would, you should do it carefully. Genetic engineering can be construed as one of the most important and dangerous things on the planet that we have discovered. Why? You ask, because of the potential that it has and also because of the fact that it can be used as a bio-weapon. Bio-weapons are the ones we need to be afraid of.
Well, questions like these only present themselves when you are confined to some limited information, but that does not mean the question is not valid, because it definitely is indeed. Because of the rapid advancements that the world has seen the last 70-80 years is one of the most important things that we need to consider. Well, since the discovery of the structure of DNA in the 1950s, geneticists have certainly continued to make all kinds of discoveries at a very breathtaking rate. In the year 1982, the first ever drug which was insulin to treat the horrible disease that was diabetes was produced with the use of genetic engineering and then followed by the first ever trials of gene therapy in humans in the year 1990. At the same time, though, gene sequencing of the human genome had become even simpler than ever. The original project actually took 13 years and also cost $3 billion. If you think about the same in today’s time, the process would take three days and would also cost less than $1000. The difference is indeed surprising as well as baffling as well. It would also help you to know that the cost of gene sequencing has dropped significantly over the past two decades.
The rapid scientific developments are not exactly uncommon. This has actually happened all over the planet wherever there is a good research center which uses updates technology. Genetic technology can actually be thanked for helping the human population. Here are some ways:
- Patients give in a blood sample which is later analyzed for gene and genes which are linked to a specific disorder or the person’s entire genetic code.
- This would usually be processed in a lab, and the individual genes can be done on the spot.
- A few genes are tested but the whole-genome approaches will look at everything in the DNA strand.
- If you know or suspect that you have a genetic disorder, you would actually be able to get good treatment, and the people who know what they are doing can actually reduce the chances of you being in harm’s way.
- Effective and preventive treatments are available because of advancements in genetics.